It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:58 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: OM Birds Head Vaqueros?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:52 pm 

I was told by a friend that the Old Model Vaquero Birds Head revolvers are rapidy gaining in collector value because very few were made, especially the stainless steel version. I was wondering how true this is. Is there any way to find out the production numbers of the various Vaquero models? I was also told that Ruger had no specific sequential serial numbers for any particular models and just built Birds Heads and Bisleys on new frames picked at random. Seems to me somebody, at Ruger or somewhere must know the production numbers.

By the way... I consider myself a Ruger collector as I own 5 Ruger revolvers. Four are Ruger Vaqueros in caliber 45 Colt... a matched pair of stainless steel, 7.5 inch barreled Vaqs with real stag horn grips. A Bisley Vaquero, blue/cc with 5.5 inch barrel with white pearl grips, also in caliber 45 Colt. And of course, the 3. 75 in barrel Bird's Head in stainless steel, also 45 Colt and it wears laminated ebony wood grips. My most recent aquisition is a Super Redhawk Alaskan in caliber 454 Casull.

Last edited by DBC5273 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:57 pm 

Nobody on this forum knows anything about the BHVs??? :o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the RCA & RCA Website. It does look like you are well on your way to being a Ruger Collector!!
I purposely waited for other members to reply to your question about the Birdshead Vaqueros since I do not have a good answer for you. But since no one else replied I'll give it a shot. The Ruger Company's policy is not publish production numbers of their various models. The Birdsheads were made in limited runs in .32 H&R Mag., .357 Mag. & .45 Colt. They were made in both blue/case color and stainless. I do not know know how many of each were made but they do seem to be very desirable from both a collectors and shooters standpoint. There were some .32 H&R "Lonesome Cowboy" Birdshead with gold inlay made too, only about 500 each of those I believe.

I hope you have received your Membership packet by now, if not you may want to send an email via the help deck and ask them to check on it.

Let me know if I can be of help to you in any way.

Regards, Bill

Last edited by flattop44 on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:53 pm 

Thanks for the reply Bill. This site was suggested to me at a different site where I posed the same question. Researching other sites confirms that the Old Model Bird's Head Vaqueros are indeed going up in price and gaining collector value. I'm just curious about the numbers of the various Old Models that were made.
Thanks again for your response. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:21 pm 

Your nomenclature is a little bit "off". The term Old Model, when applied to a Ruger firearm, means
the gun was made in the '53 to '73 era, is a single action revolver, and was produced with a lockwork that emulates the
original Colt's Single Action Army. They are characterized by the "three screws" appearing on the side of the cylinder frame.
This image shows an Old Model .357 and a New Model .357. The "three screws" of the Old Model are quite evident, as are the
"two pins" of the New Model design.

Ruger's Vaqueros were produced with Ruger's Improved, New Model lockwork, which utilizes a transfer bar, not unlike
similar devices used on many Double Action revolvers, which can make the revolver much less likely to
be "accidently fired".

In 2005 Ruger redesigned the Vaquero and the New Vaquero was born. Both versions are clearly rollmarked
with their respective names. The New Vaquero is a downsized Vaquero and is the result of many, many requests
by shooters wishing for a more "Colt Like" sixshooter.

Your question about "how many" Old Models were made probably needs to be rephrased.

Sincerely,

flatgate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:53 am 

Since the larger, original Vaqueros did not come out until well after 1973, just what am I supposed to call the first "big" Vaqueros? Everyone who knows about Ruger Vaqueros refers to the original ones as "Old Vaqueros" and the newer, smaller ones as "New Vaqueros". Thanks for the history lesson but I was looking for information on the production numbers on Birds Head Vaqueros, the original versions, the old model Vaqueros, the ones that came out in the early 90's. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:15 pm 

Most Ruger aficianodo's use the markings on the receiver/cylinder frame to discern the particular model.

The early Vaqueros are rollmarked Ruger Vaquero and the smaller framed examples, introduced in '05, are rollmarked
Ruger New Vaquero.

As far as production data, the Factory won't help. Click on my username in the upper Left Corner of the post. That'll take you to my profile and a link to my e mail. We'll discuss this "off line".

flatgate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:43 am 

This reminds me of the story of the .45 long colt...
The "long" was not original to the caliber name, but when the US Army bought Schofielods who used the .45 revolver cartridge, Trrop started to call the longer .45 Colt round fro "Long Colt"

I belive that the vaquero will end up being called Old model vaquero and the new ones just vaquero when people talk about them. Language is a living thing...

However... back to topic.
Did the bird head Vaquero come in a brass frame version? I think there is one in Norway... with a short barrel.
I might be able to get grbby hands on it...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:15 am 

No "Factory" brass. There was, IIRC, a company in the Eastern U.S. making "Colt Lightening" styled grip frames.

In addition, Ron Powers made, and may still be making, a Colt SAA style grip frame for Rugers that has provisions
to permit it to be "trimmed" down into a Bird's Head.

JMHO,

flatgate

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]