It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:24 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:47 pm 

Have a question about a pistol I own. Have a red eagle ruger that I am pretty sure is an original early. The sights are not adjustable, it is a nine shot, on one side it says, RUGER 22 cal. long rifle automatic pistol. On the other side it says sturm, ruger & co. southport, conn. u.s.a. 12718 The pistol is absolutely beautiful, with very little blemishes, no scratches, dings, nothing. Very slight blueing blemish in one spot. Fun to shoot and accurate. Would love to see if it is one of the originals and round about worth.

Thanks, Rob Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Rob,

Your pistol serial number 12718 is a RUGER STANDARD PISTOL and was inspected January 26, 1951 and shipped to a midwestern distributor on January 27, 1951. Your pistol is indeed a Red Eagle Auto.

The first grip panel medallions were hand painted – red. The medallion color was changed from red to black as a permanent memorial to the passing, in November 1951 of Bill Ruger's partner Alexander Sturm. In February of 1952 STANDARD PISTOLS (33000 ser, no. range) and MARK I TARGET model (25300 ser. no. ranges) began to be shipped with black grip medallions. Speaking in general terms, all Ruger STANDARD PISTOLS and MARK 1 TARGET models serial numbered under 30000 are refered to as Red Eagle Autos.

Based on your description and assuming that your gun doesn't retain the original packaging, the current BLUE BOOK OF GUN VALUES indicates that your pistol is valued at $500-$600.

John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:06 pm 

Thank you very much for the quick return answer on my pistol. Its nice to know it is what I thought it was. The pistol will always be with my family so selling it isnt an option but its nice to know the value behind it. Again, thanks.
Rob Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:03 pm 

John you need to reconsider you statement:

"Speaking in general terms, all Ruger STANDARD PISTOLS and MARK 1 TARGET models serial numbered under 30000 are refered to as Red Eagle Autos."

While this is correct for the Standard Pistols, It's not correct for the Target Models. Target Models from 25,000 to 29,999 are not Red Eagles. As a mater of fact some of these guns are Tapered Ear Mark 1 Targets. Which as you know were manufactured after the Red Eagle era.

Thanks,
Street

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hello street,

Thank you for your comments. Please look at the sentance just before the one you cite which does say what you point out.

In February of 1952 STANDARD PISTOLS (33000 ser, no. range) and MARK I TARGET model (25300 ser. no. ranges) began to be shipped with black grip medallions.

I've learned over the years to respond to generalized inquiries in broader terms. If my response developes into a dialog, then a very detailed narrative can develop from there. As you know the Red Eagle Auto and the early period of manufacturing at the Station St. facility is quite comprehensive. My new book devotes 45 pages to the Autos from 1949-1958.

Regards, John

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]