Rare Ruger Mark I - Myth?

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
Nurselord

Rare Ruger Mark I - Myth?

Post by Nurselord » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:05 am

To be upfront, I joined the forum solely to ask this question, as I think it will bug me for a while if I don't find out for sure:

Last night, I sold a Ruger Mark I .22 with a serial number beginning with 17- to Gander Mtn. They gave me $225 for it, and I felt that was ok for me not to have to do the legwork of listing and selling it online somewhere. They said private sale I'd probably get $400 - 450 as, according to them, it was in 85 - 90% condition.

My research prior to taking it to them suggested $300 - 350 was the realistic private sale value.

However, while I was talking to the guy, he said if I had the original box it was worth $4000 - 5000, because it a particular gun that had come in some rare box that was valued by collectors.

John C. Dougan
Site Admin

Re: Rare Ruger Mark I - Myth?

Post by John C. Dougan » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Thank you for the inquiry. Your $300 estimate is more realistic on these. Now, there are Standard Pistols and MK I. The Mark I features a heavier barrel, adjustable rear sight and adjustable trigger. It is a target version. The Standard Pistol is the most common. In any event, the version that the gun shop guy had in mind is probably a very early Standard Pistol shipped in a wood "Salt Cod" box. Just under 900 of them were shipped in the special box in late 1949-mid 1950. To date only a couple dozen of these are know and are collectors hands.

Coogs

Re: Rare Ruger Mark I - Myth?

Post by Coogs » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:35 am

^^ What he said. Coogs