P89P

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
stwbll

P89P

Post by stwbll » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Last week I acquired a pistol that has thrown me for a loop. The slide has P89P stamped on it, but the configuration and the serial number (311-97699) says that it is a P95DAO. I was wondering if there was anyone in this forum that might be able to shed some light on this for me or may have seen one of these before? I have attached a picture so you can see the slide stamp and the serial number.
Attachments
P89P Serial Side.JPG

rugerguy

Re: P89P

Post by rugerguy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:37 pm

That is neat, never saw one quite like that, you'd really have to contact Ruger as that is kinda a "mis -match", and recall there were police orders for some such and the "P" most likely is for "polymer" as the P89s I thought were all metal grip frames ( stainless) and there was a lot of cross models P93,94 and 95 s around that same time , I thought your gun was a an early 1997 version, but never got into tht e P series guns, have you tried Chad, and the Red Eagle News Exchange???
good luck....by the way was ,is there a box ( case) with any sort of end labels, ???? that would really help, as I said the only 89 we ever heard of close to that was some marked PP89M...........
Dan T

NRA Benefactor

stwbll

Post by stwbll » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:03 am

rugerguy wrote:That is neat, never saw one quite like that, you'd really have to contact Ruger as that is kinda a "mis -match", and recall there were police orders for some such and the "P" most likely is for "polymer" as the P89s I thought were all metal grip frames ( stainless) and there was a lot of cross models P93,94 and 95 s around that same time , I thought your gun was a an early 1997 version, but never got into tht e P series guns, have you tried Chad, and the Red Eagle News Exchange???
good luck....by the way was ,is there a box ( case) with any sort of end labels, ???? that would really help, as I said the only 89 we ever heard of close to that was some marked PP89M...........
I have called Ruger customer service and they confirmed that it is actually a KP95DAO, which isn't a huge surprise. I contacted Mr. Hiddleson and have been in correspondence with him about it and also in contact with Mike Fifer and Linda Deprofio at Ruger. Ms. Deprofio is still researching their records and also speaking to long time employees; in fact she sent me an update saying that she had one more person to speak to yesterday, but they are on vacation until next week. She will have some more information for me early next week. I bought this pistol because the roll mark and configuration didn't match and it has turned into a really interesting mystery that has put me in contact with people and organizations that I probably wouldn't have been in contact with otherwise. The outcome will be nice but the journey has be phenomenal!

stwbll

Post by stwbll » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:13 pm

Here is the response that I received today from the Ruger record department:

"Our records reflect that this pistol was shipped as a KP95DAOW, model 3098, stainless, P95 pistol, double-action only. Anecdotally, we understand that the original thinking was to market this pistol to Law Enforcement and use a “P” designation. (The “P” was to denote “Police.”) However, we cannot confirm this from official company records."

I responded asking if it could be a sales sample or perhaps just a factory mistake. I'm sure neither one of those situations will be or can be confirmed with records, so this might be a "to be continued" episode until I can track down someone else with a similar pistol or someone who may know something from the factory floor. Only time will tell!

rugerguy

Post by rugerguy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:28 am

good information, and kinda along th elines we were thinking, as thats how things were "back then" maybe Chad Hiddleson has more info????interesting..............
Dan T

NRA Benefactor

stwbll

Post by stwbll » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:06 am

I was told that my first round of letters of authenticity are on the way from the records department. I am sure that there won't be anymore information than I was given via email, but maybe there will be a clue to point me in another direction? Hope springs eternal!